Linux is basically a complete platform. No matter the distro you install, chances are it already has a PDF viewer as the default app. But still, there are some Linux users who look for another alternatives for a certain reason. It can be the features or simply they don’t comfortable with that default PDF viewer. If you are a sorts of that person, you probably want to give Foxit Reader a try.
Foxit Reader is a cross-platform PDF reader. Linux is one the platforms that is supported by this app. Foxit Reader is quite ideal for those who are looking for a feature-rich PDF viewer. You can do a lot of things with your PDFs using this tool instead of just reading them.
One of the standout features of Foxit Reader that you will love to is its integration to the cloud storage service. You can open and save your PDF files in the well-known cloud storage services such as OneDrive, Google Drive, Dropbox, Box to Alfresco.
Install Foxit Reader in Linux
Foxit Reader doesn’t offer its app for a specific Linux distribution. Instead, Foxit Reader distributes its app under the regular file (with .run extension) so all Linux distribution users can install and use it. You can get the installation file of Foxit Reader here and follow these steps to install.
Before getting started to install Foxit Read on your machine please ensure that you have logged in as root if you want to make a system-wide installation. If you don’t login as root other users in your system won’t be able use Foxit Reader.
- Open terminal and go to the directory where the downloaded file of Foxit Reader is located using cd command. In this example, the file is located at /home/Downloads/linux apps/
# cd Downloads/linux\ apps/
- Uncompress the zip file of Foxit Read.
# gzip -d FoxitReader126.96.36.19978_Server_x64_enu_Setup.run.tar.gz
- Untar the .tar file of Foxit Reader.
# tar -xvf FoxitReader188.8.131.5278_Server_x64_enu_Setup.run.tar
- Run the installation file of Foxit Reader to start the installation (be sure to include the dot and slash symbols)
- Specify the folder where you want Foxit Reader will be installed. If you prefer to use the default path then just click the Next button.
- Accept the EULA (End User License Agreement) and click Next.
- Wait until the installation process finish. Then click the Finish button.