Many of us who are Android users, often gets frustrated because of the low storage space available in their devices. What worries us more is that, even after deleting unnecessary media files, the storage crisis is still there. Ultimately we take the one option available, uninstall apps. We often don’t know that the storage crisis occurs mostly because of miscellaneous files. These files contain data collected from system files or shared files. In this article, we shall discuss how to delete those miscellaneous files and free your storage space.
Deleting Miscellaneous Files Manually
If you are technically sound, you can try out this process since there is a less chance that by mistake you will delete some important system file.
- Open your Android device’s Settings
- Scroll down to the Storage option and tap on it.
- You will find the list that states the space occupied by Apps, audio, video and other files.
- Tap on Other/Misc. and a pop up will appear that says what kind of files is categorized within Others.
- Tap on Explore and you will be guided among the files.
- Tap the folder that you are sure does not contain any important system or personal data and delete it.
A good place to start is by exploring the Downloads folder since you will find many unnecessary pdf, audio and .doc files which you don’t need at all.
Deleting Misc. Files on Xiaomi Phones
The latest Redmi phones by Xiaomi comes with an inbuilt cleaner tool.
- In the storage, at the extreme bottom, you will find an option called Cleaner. Tap on it.
- The cleaner will automatically scan and tell you about the space occupied by obsolete files, cache, and other data.
- Tap on clean and it will be done for you.
Once cleaning is done, you can tap on the Deep clean option for further scanning and cleaning duplicate images, documents and other misc. files.
Are There Any Precautions Required?
Deleting the misc. files manually come with a little bit of risk. What if, by mistake, you deleted some important system file or your personal data. To prevent that, you can take a backup of the misc. files in an external SD card or another storage device. After clearing the misc. files, once you are sure that you have not deleted any important system file, you can delete the backup as well.
Deleting Misc. Files Using an App
There are free apps like Cleaner Master available at play store or other app stores which can help you to delete the misc. files in a risk-free manner.
- Go to Play Store and Search for Clean Master or download APK from AndroidCrew.
- Install the App. You can recognize it with the brush icon and the name of the publisher, Cheetah Mobile
- Once you open the app, you will find a Start button. Tap on it and you will find the Clean Now button.
- Tap Clean Now and the app will start scanning your device and show you the junk files and space occupied by them.
- By default, all the files in the list will be checked. If you don’t want to delete any specific file, you can uncheck it.
- Tap on the Clean Junk button and the misc. files will be deleted.
As we said earlier, try the manual process only if you are sure of how things work inside an Android and only if you know about the files you are going to delete. If you are unsure, you can always try apps like Clean Master. Even most devices like Xiaomi comes with a built-in cleaner tool. You can use that as well.