Internet is an integral part of our life. We can’t really far away from it. Nearly everyday we sit in front of our PC/laptop that connected to the internet, open a web browser to read news, accessing social media or watching videos on YouTube.
Did you ever wondered what technologies are used by big sites such as Facebook, Twitter and Google?
There are many resources that we can use to inspect what technologies that are used by that kind of sites. Starting from a simple ones to the more complex ones.
This article will show you how to see the technologies behind a site with a tool called BuiltWith. This is a web browser extension and available for Google Chrome and Firefox. You can use this tool with a single and click and, everything you need see will be displayed on a an informative pop up.
Before getting started, I will give you a leak several technologies that are displayed by BuiltWith.
- Web servers
- Hosting provider
- Content management system
- Analytics and tracking
- And many more
Please note, BuiltWith shows the different result, depending on site you are inspecting.
Using BuiltWith on Google Chrome
- Of course, before using BuiltWith you should have this toil installed on your Google Chrome first. Simply visit this link and click the ADD TO CHROME button to install it.
- A new icon will appear in your Google Chrome toolbar once the BuiltWith extension is successfully installed. Visit a site that you want to inspect and click on the icon. You will have a new pop up containing technologies that are used by that site.
Using BuiltWith on Firefox
- Yes, you also have to install BuiltWith in your Firefox to make it possible for you inspecting a site’s technologies. Simply visit this link and press the Add to Firefox button. Restart your Firefox to activate this add-on.
- You will also have a new icon of BuiltWith in your Firefox toolbar. Visit a site that you want to inspect and simply click the icon, and boom!. A new informative pop up containing technologies that are used by that site will suddenly appear.