When one thinks about diving, the first thing that comes to mind is an image of someone in a wetsuit floating on an ocean reef. And while this is undoubtedly a beautiful and popular way to dive, it is not the only way. Appropriately drysuits for diving are an excellent option for cooler waters or for those looking for a little more protection.
What is a Drysuit?
It is the form of clothing worn by divers, sailors, and people working in or near the water. Unlike a wetsuit, which only keeps the wearer’s upper body warm, it uses a waterproof and airtight seal to keep the entire body dry. This makes them ideal for cold water diving because they keep the diver warm and comfortable for an extended time.
Regardless of you being a professional diver or an amateur enthusiast, it is an essential piece of gear. These suits come in various styles and sizes and can be customized to fit the user’s needs. They are typically made from neoprene, a type of synthetic rubber that is both strong and flexible, and usually have built-in boots and gloves to protect the wearer from the cold water.
Drysuits are an essential piece of diving equipment for many. While they are not required for all types of diving, they are often used in cold water or long dives. Drysuits for diving work by keeping the person dry and insulated from the cold water.
Here are five benefits:
- They keep you dry and comfortable: This is the most obvious benefit, but it is also one of the most important. The suit keeps you dry and comfortable, even in the coldest and most challenging environments.
- They keep you warm: One of the primary purposes is to keep the person warm in cold water. Keeping you dry and insulated can help you stay warm for extended periods.
- They protect you from harmful atmospheric elements: The suit can help to protect you from the cold, heat, sun, and toxic chemicals.
- They are durable: Drysuits are built to last. They are made from rigid materials that can withstand the rigors of diving, so you don’t have to worry about them tearing or breaking.
- They are stylish: Drysuits come in various styles and colors, so you can find one that looks good on you.
Tips for Choosing the Right One
There are a few aspects to consider when selecting the right piece. Here are the five tips to help you choose the right one for your needs.
- Choose a comfortable piece. You’ll spend a lot of time in your drysuit, so make sure it is comfortable to wear.
- Make sure they fit correctly. A too big or too small drysuit can be challenging to dive.
- Consider your climate. If you live in a cold environment, you’ll need something to keep you warm in frigid waters. You may not need as much insulation if you live in a warm climate.
- Think about your diving style. If you’re a daredevil who likes to push the limits, you should choose the one that can withstand a lot of wear and tear. You can get away with a less rugged piece if you’re a more conservative diver.
Drysuits are essential for those who want to stay dry and warm while diving in cold water. A few different types are available in the market, each with advantages and disadvantages. It is essential to consult with a professional before purchasing a drysuit to make sure you get the right one for your needs.