When you think about the storage of data, what comes to your mind? Perhaps you think about the relics of data storage in the past, like floppy disks and USB pen drives. Maybe your mind goes to rooms filled with the blinking lights of data servers. The truth is that the storage of data is essential to the function of today’s technology, but it interestingly is more than that. In many respects, data storage is essential to life!
Natural Data Storage
Think about the amazing power of your DNA – there is no storage solution quite like it. Amazingly, DNA molecules can store up to 215 petabytes, which is around 215 million gigabytes of data in one double stranded molecule. To put that into perspective, a DNA system could hold every single piece of data the world has ever generated in one room. And your body does more with the storage capacity of your brain. The brain’s memory storage capacity is close to 2.5 petabytes, or a million gigabytes – what an amazing marvel! These natural forms of data storage blow all other man made solutions out of the water.
The Development of Data Storage
Going back to the man made world, the solutions for data storage have advanced dramatically in what is comparably a small amount of time. Take for example the computer that was onboard the first Apollo spacecraft that went to the moon. The operating system for that whole rocket ship had the capacity of just 64 kilobytes of memory storage, meaning it could only handle just over 64 thousand characters of information. Most digital toasters of today have more computing power than that space craft did, with the average mobile phone having at least 64 gigabytes of data build in. What fantastic feats have been accomplished, and amazing bounds in advancements have been achieved, in the field of data storage!
Data Centers for Your Business
If only you could harness the power of your brain to deal with the data your business has to handle! Fortunately, the next best thing is a managed data center, a technological bran built to store documents, power computer systems and manage the important processes of your company. For many years, the go to method of storing data was to have an onsite data center that everyone could access. However, just as rocket ships are no longer built with the storage capacity of a modern day toaster, there are more up to date solutions for data storage for businesses.
As working model change and more employees work remotely, the work force no longer shares one central physical location. Furthermore, traditional outlets of marketing are being replaced by digital advertising options and processes once performed by humans are now automated and run and automated by computers and software. In order to support all of this new, modern transformation, there needs to be a new, modern solution and managed data centers are proving to be exactly that for business today. These data centers are managed by third party which allows for powerful IT infrastructure that would otherwise be out of reach for the average business. More and more companies are opting for this solution when it comes to handling their data and with all the benefits that from it, it’s easy to see why. Keep reading to learn just a few of those benefits!
Benefits of Using a Managed Data Center
While the idea of handing over your precious data may be daunting at first, the benefits that come from it are sure to convince you to at least consider it as a viable option. Let’s consider some of the advantages now to put your mind at ease.
- Regular Back Ups. When your data is in the safe hands of a professional manager, you don’t need to fear losing data as they will work hard to keep it all backed up regularly and consistently. Professional data centers will have access to multiple servers too so even if one fails, there are backups to step in and help your business to continue to run.
- Improved Security. Both physical and cybersecurity is assured when you use a managed data center. Both human guards and powerful technology will be on hand to keep threats your data minimal and your security high.
- Unlimited Potential. Companies can expand their storage use at a moment’s notice without having to make large investments into purchasing their own infrastructure. The powerful flexibility of a dedicated managed data center means you’ll never have to worry about outgrowing or expanding to the point you are not supported.
- Powerful Support. Many managed data centers will work hard to make sure you feel supported as you leave your valuable data in their stable hands. 24/7 monitoring and human support will help you to get answers and feedback when you need it the most.
- Cost Savings. Onsite solutions are expensive, whereas managed data services are much more affordable. You can pay for what you need and adapt your fees to fit the changing needs of your business, meaning you will only pay for what you actually use.
- Improved Productivity. Rather than spending a massive amount of time managing data and dealing with heavy workloads, by offloading the responsibility of data management to a dedicated provider, your teams can spend more time on other efforts that will be of greater benefit to your business as a whole.
- Minimal Downtime. Rather than a threat taking out your data for a considerable amount of time, a professional provider will make sure that downtime is minimal even if threats do occur.
Final Thoughts on Managed Data Centers
While it may go against all of your protective instincts, handing your data over to reputable managed data service providers will do a lot of good for your business. You can be assured that your valuable information will be in safe hands, secure and protected, accessible and guarded.