VLC should be the main topic when you are discussing about free multimedia player. Nearly all multimedia formats — whether it’s video or audio — can be played by this app.
Actually, VLC is not merely a multimedia player. It’s a versatile app which can handle multiple tasks related to multimedia, other than playing multimedia itself. Including converting multimedia format. If you have VLC installed on you computer you don’t have to install any additional app or digging the web to look for online converter every time you want to convert a video file to MP3. VLC has a built-in feature to handle this.
This article will show you how to convert a video file to MP3 using VLC running on Ubuntu.
Convert video to MP3 using VLC
Firstly, prepare a video file you want to covert. VLC supports nearly all video formats including MP4, MKV, FLV and a lot more. Once you done preparing your file, launch the VLC app on your computer and follow these steps.
- Click the Media menu and select Convert/Save.
- From the File tab, open your video by clicking the Add button.
- Press the Convert/Save button.
- Change the profile to MP3 from the drop down menu.
- Click the Browse button to select a folder where you want to save your converted file and give your file a name.
- Click the Start button to start converting. The converting process can take minutes depend on the file size of the video you want to convert. Don’t close VLC until the converting process finished.