Windows users usually use WinRAR to open an archive file the RAR format, while Mac users often take advantage of UnRarX. What about Linux?
In Linux, you can use a tool called
unrarto extract a RAR file, while to create an archive file in a RAR format you can use a tool called
rar. Both are command-line based. Alternatively, you can also use online extractor tools to open RAR files.
Compared to other archive file formats, such as ZIP, RAR is bit more complex since it’s a proprietary file format. RAR compression tools, as well as the RAR libraries, are proprietary software with the copyright belongs to Alexander L. Roshal. So, not all developers have the right to develop a RAR tool.
If you receive an archive file in the RAR format from someone and have no RAR tool file installed on your computer to extract it, you can use the following 3 tools to extract the file.
1. Open RAR files online using B1 Online Archiver
The first online tool you can use to open RAR files online is B1 Online Archiver. You can use this tool to extract nearly all types of archive file format, including RAR. This tool has the capability to open password-protected archive files. Here is how to use it.
- Visit this link and click the Click here button to select an archive file from your computer.
- Click the extracted folder (if any) and select the individual files to download them.
2. Open RAR files online using extract.me
Extract.me is a pretty cool online extractor tool You can use it to extract all of the archive file formats you possibly know, including RAR. Not only you can use it to extract archive files on your computer, but also the ones saved on Dropbox and Google Drive, without having to download the file first. Extract.me is also capable of opening password-protected archives.
- Visit the website of extract.me and click the Choose file button to select an archive file from your computer. Or click the Google Drive link if you want to extract RAR files saved on Google Drive and click the Dropbox link if you want to extract RAR files saved on Dropbox.
- Click the individual files to download them to your computer.
3. Open RAR files online using Funzip
You can also use Funzip to open an archive file in the RAR format. Unfortunately, this online extractor tool doesn’t support password-protected archive files. The stand out feature of Funzip is that it is capable of extracting a large archive file for up to 400MB.
- Visit the website of Funzip at funzip.net and select the Choose File button to select an archive file from your computer.
- Once you selected the file, click the Open files! button to start extracting.
- Once the extraction process is done, click the individual files to download them to your computer.