Cyber criminals are prowling the internet on a daily basis looking for victims to pounce on. Like a thief in the night, just suddenly you have an attack on your hands. That is why it is good to make yourself aware of the types of attacks your server could undergo, as well as how to protect your system against them.
What is a Dedicated Server?
A dedicated server is a remote server that is dedicated to meeting a specific need such as web hosting. A client will receive a full computer server, with an internet connection, and any other equipment required. All pages, text, media, etc will be loaded on this server and kept safe and secure for their clients. A dedicated server has 100% complete access to the entirety of its internet connection, without being interrupted by other users. Therefore, the server can be used to its full potential.
GTHost is a great place to find a dedicated server solution to meet your needs. There are a number of GTHost dedicated servers to choose from, such as: 1Gbps or 10 Gbps, with large volume discs included, or GPU included.
Examples of Common Dedicated Server Threats
Cyber criminals are constantly updating their methods of attacks, let’s take a look at a few common dedicated server threats seen today:
- Website Hackers. Hackers are forever snooping around crawling websites to find weaknesses in the system so they can run code, install malware, steal or modify your data, and form their attacks and data breaches.
- Malware. This is a type of file or code that is delivered over a network or server. It infects, steals or conducts anything the attacker tells it to do.
- Password Breach. This is when a third party gains access to your personal data or account login passwords etc. If your password has been breached, you are at risk of having your accounts hacked.
- DDoS Attack. A distributed denial-of-service attack is an attempt to disrupt the normal traffic by overwhelming it with a flood of internet traffic. The system becomes overworked and the system shuts down.
How to Minimize the Risk of Dedicated Server Threats
Let’s take a look at a few ways you can help to minimize the risk of attacks on your dedicated server:
- Unique passwords. Use a unique password that is secure and contains both upper and lower case letters, special symbols, and numbers. Be sure to change your password every 2-3 months.
- Run regular scans. Your web hosting provider should provide you with the necessary software and tools for running security checks on your dedicated server.
- Backup Regularly. Do regular backups of your system to ensure that you are not a victim of extreme data loss. Always be prepared for a situation of data loss.
- Reliable hosting service. A professional hosting company will be able to provide you with dedicated server security and guide you for any other security needs on your website. They will also help you stay up to date with the latest security measures.
Dedicated servers are one of the most secure servers out there, and they can even undergo cyber attacks like any other system. It is important to keep yourself updated on the attacks that are out there, and know how to minimize the risk of attacks. GTHost offers instant servers with real-time listing, no setup fees, bandwidth of around 300Mbps to 10Gbps, unmetered, and guaranteed. Head on over to GTHost now and get your dedicated server set up instantly.