For those who consider themselves laypeople when it comes to technology as a whole, IoT or Internet of Things associates with things such as a smart fridge that might keep track of the contents inside or perhaps a smartwatch that will help you monitor your health or maybe a smart TV with web functionality. These things in and of themselves we find phenomenal, but this is a small fraction of what the Internet of Things is actually capable of.
What Is IoT
When you talk about the Internet of Things, you are referring to a network of physical objects whether it be buildings or cars or appliances or any object that has been fitted with any type of software, electronic, network connection or sensors in order to gather and trade data. IoT differs from the internet as it refers more to communication among machines as opposed to communication between a computer and a person. It is also driven through mobile device dynamics as well as System-On-A-Chip or SOC, memory, sensors, power and networking.
IoT is already being put to use in healthcare with heart monitoring, in homes with smart meters able to remotely control heating as well as hot water, clothes/shoes that come with pedometers and heart rate sensors, and so much more being tried out. These are complicated systems and are not without fault or the need for software security which is one of the most critical aspects of custom IoT Development.
Custom IoT Development
If you are initiating custom IoT development within your business, it’s essential that you use a software development company that understands all the necessary aspects of these technologies that will need to be implemented. Those include:
- Secure Information. Knowledge and expertise when it comes to the complicated threats that exist surrounding cybersecurity.
- Special/Embedded Hardware. The software will most likely need to run on lower power, more compact, and less expensive hardware with special components that will not likely be found with PCs, e.g. relays, sensors, controllers. An IoT developer requirement would be to have know-how with programming for these types of systems.
- Data process. Management of databases as well as creation along with time-sequence data knowledge.
- Mobile. Mobile device technologies will be used by IoT including protocols for geo-positioning, software/hardware architecture, frameworks/languages in programming, communication, and in most instances, a user’s mobile device or table is going to be the ‘universal remote control’ as well as the management station for the IoT system. Having skills in mobile development is going to transfer to IoT.
- User. For the public as a whole with a wide range of technical capabilities, the user interface needs to be clear and user-friendly. The UI/UX will need to include sound/touch which can be as vitally important as visuals on a graphics screen.
- Network. Providing the device with the appropriate communication abilities will be essential for development success, with authentication, network creation (ad hoc), and data transfer that is reliable with the use of wireless protocols that are the most appropriate.
Sumatosoft might be a solution if you are looking for a company to build an IoT software for your company. You can learn more about it on sumatosoft.com/solutions/internet-of-things-software-development
Within the next decade, the Internet of Things will be nearly as common as having our electricity or using our GPS system. Hiring a company with the necessary skillset to assist you in developing your IoT software will enable you to bring your business into the future successfully.