A considerable number of web pages that crumble on smartphone screens lead to huge losses for businesses. It also makes customers frustrated. This frustration has a direct effect on sales and business performance. Previously, designers would start designing the app with a desktop version first as an essential part of web traffic came from desktops. To beat this situation, the concept of creating a website in mobile-first technology took place. Nowadays, many entrepreneurs start with a mobile-first design. Then adapt it for desktops and laptops.
What does a mobile-first design mean?
Mobile-first web design is an idea regarding adaptive design. When a website design is upgrading from a Smartphone level to larger screen versions, it is the mobile-first technology.
In the meantime, one should not confuse the adaptive design with responsive design. The adaptation of the website is restricted only to strict screen specifications.
The importance to design for mobile-first
- Being mobile-first means being straight-forward, useful, and modern.
- It is always easier to progress from a simpler outline and utility to complex ones.
- Moreover, the basic idea of mobile-first is minimalism and simplicity, which the clients enjoy.
- If one is worried about his web image, then he cannot do without designing for mobile.
- Web pages optimized for mobile phones help to generate leads and boost conversions.
- As a result, mobile-first helps the app to get top ratings on Google.
Disadvantages of using mobile-first
- The area on mobile screens is small and limited. One has to work with tap touches instead of mouse clicks.
- It cannot provide a comprehensive picture of the end product. This is the reason why many designers do not approve of it.
- Finally, the process involves extra cost and is time-consuming.
Tips and tricks for designing for mobile-first
If one decides to go for mobile-first, he should know the following tips.
- Picking the right tools – A perfect mobile design starts with the rights tools. When one considers choosing a builder or framework, he can think of Foundation, Skeleton, Bootstrap, or other builders that contain mobile-first essentials.
- Making the elements mobile-first – When one considers building the app from scratch, he should adopt the main design elements to mobile-first and then modify them to a laptop or tablet.
- Giving the user priority – The webpage can employ daily puzzles, problem-solving, stories, user-flows, and journeys to engage the users in everyday activity.
- Optimizing the contents – There should be relevant content, playable videos, scrolling options, and contents that the users demand.
- Importance of videos – 90 percent of users rely on videos in the process of decision-making as per statistics.
- Upgrading – Once the launched mobile app gains success, it can be optimized to the Progressive web app.
Best features of mobile-first web design
- The website should be quick loading.
- The design can implement natural shapes.
- There must be clear CTAs.
- There should be available contact info.
- An interface illustration is a must to have.
- It can employ interface illustration, intuitive navigation, mobile typography, a drop-down menu, and scrollable content on the Home page.
- The content should be mobile-friendly.
- If there is a two-steps check-out procedure, it will attract users.
- There should be linear user flows, user-friendly input forms, clean design with fluid shapes, and the design should be based on low-fidelity wireframing.