Website development on WordPress is one of the many options where ready-made templates are used. This site content management system (CMS) is written in PHP (general-purpose scripting language) and is designed to create the following types of Internet projects: blogs, news portals, landing pages, portfolios, business pages, and other resources. Its uniqueness lies in the fact that you can independently understand the mechanism of WordPress operation, and relatively quickly launch your project.
However, as with any software or scripting language, this CMS has its own pros and cons. In this article, we will discuss them in detail and explain why you should use WordPress. Let’s start!
Advantages of the site development on WordPress
1) Ease of Control
The administrative panel allows you to self-administer your site, add pages and sections, and edit text or graphics. It means that you don’t need to contact the technician every time you need to change something on your website.
Since the CMS software code is publicly available and constantly improved by programmers from around the world, WP can offer you many different themes and templates, ready-to-use tools, predictable functions, including customer-friendly functionality. Among the useful functions are the following:
- Plugin support and batch update;
- Image adaptability, built-in graphics editor;
- Page and template management;
- Improved version of the toolkit for working with content;
- Adaptive layout for mobile devices, which is enabled by default;
- User-friendly interface and other options that are always redesigned, and improved;
- The availability of paid and free plugins in the form of public libraries allows you to minimize the cost of developing a site on WP while designing projects of wide functional complexity.
3) Free Updates and Reliable Protection
The platform has automatic service and security updates that provide reliable password protection against hacking and support for the automatic installation of files in the desired language.
Cons of WP-Based Sites
Of course, fast and cheap CMS is good, but what prospects can it provide? Even if you can create a website by editing a free or paid theme, get the necessary functionality through plug-ins and modules, and prepare a resource for promotion, such projects still deserve less attention than the development of individual sites. The main disadvantages of sites developed on the WordPress platform are the following:
- The attitude of search engines towards such sites is always biased. You will not find any site with a template solution in the top positions of search engines. And this paradox has an explanation: WP provides low page load speed and template design;
- Low-quality free themes and plugins and frequent updates, which can lead to bugs and errors;
- Although the security of the system is ok, CMS with closed source code is considered more reliable than WordPress;
- Each site needs constant technical support, but WordPress does not give any obligations in this regard. If you do not want to solve problems with CMS yourself, pay attention to paid site management systems. They are focused on serious and large-scale businesses;
- This engine cannot synchronize with 1C and the backup option.
Remember, that the development of sites on WP is not suitable for serious business with advanced functionality and high results in the promotion. In this case, it is better to use paid CMS created for the needs of your company.
Individual Development or WordPress: What is the Best Choice for Your Company?
Website owners and developers are constantly faced with the question: what is better — an individual development or a CMS? Before choosing a future platform for a website or online store, you should determine what tasks you have and how you are going to solve them.
Individual development is a great option for creating both a landing page and a full-fledged multipage site. This method of development always guarantees the uniqueness and exclusivity of the website or online store, if it is developed by professionals. Pros:
- The site is “adapted” to the requirements and wishes of the customer. The web developer can more quickly and efficiently implement the tasks;
- This approach guarantees great uniqueness in code, settings, technical features, web design;
- Ability to make adjustments at all stages of development until the desired result is achieved;
- Complete freedom of action of the web developer, no restrictions, because the product is created individually and without template standards.
Disadvantages of the individual design:
- Such sites are always much more expensive than ready-made platforms because they are actually created from scratch. The owner of the company will have to allocate considerable resources for the development, although the result is really worth it;
- It takes more time to develop an individual site, as setting up functionality and all systems is a time-consuming process;
- You need a team of specialists who can implement the project. In this case, it is impossible to hire the only person, because the multilevel and complexity of tasks require an appropriate number of people;
- The understanding of the technical task by the customer is imperfect because he is not an expert, so very often conflicts of interest and unexpected negative consequences after the completion appear. Multiple edits are usually paid, which again carries an additional burden on the budget.
Each business owner must determine for himself the purpose of site creation and what he expects from it. If you are willing to spend time and money — then individual development is a great option. In this case, you are guaranteed to get a quality and unique site that will work entirely on your image and profits. For those who want to start working ASAP and have limited financial resources — developing sites on a ready platform is a good option, although it has some drawbacks.
Most ready-made CMS platforms are free, and WordPress is not an exception. This allows business owners to significantly save on website development, instead of paying large sums of money to web developers. Select the approach that better meets your needs and enjoy the result!